BOP and wellhead reliability & integrity during drilling and completions is critical in terms of both safety and the environment. Effective risk and reliability management is also important to manage high corrective maintenance costs for BOP and wellhead systems. Regulations require gathering of data on BOP system performance and reliability, as well the need failure analysis in response to failures during drilling operations.
Astrimar specialist reliability engineers have established risk and reliability expertise supporting Drilling and Completion engineering with particular focus on BOPs and Wellheads.
Integrity and operational availability are achieved when project and drilling teams successfully assess, manage and mitigate each identified risk. By combining risk and reliability analyses with more traditional engineering, we aim to provide risk-based decision support to improve reliability, functionality, integrity and operational efficiency.
We believe that risk and reliability analysis of BOPs and wellheads provides a better understanding of the system design capability. In addition, we take the analysis for qualification beyond compliance legislation, applying best practice qualification processes to understand, analyse and test the technology to provide traceable assurance that systems are qualified through a detailed understanding of all service demands, performance requirements and potential failure mechanisms.
Effective risk and reliability management of BOP and Wellhead systems can help mitigate technical risks and challenges during Well Drilling and Completion activities. Astrimar reliability engineers apply reliability, availability and risk management techniques to support both design decisions and drilling philosophies. For example, we:
- Analyse the potential risks associated with a range of scenarios (including worst case) within the drilling and completion process
- Identify remedial measures to mitigate the technical risks
- Conduct Technology Readiness Level (TRL) and qualification FMECA assessments to determine qualification requirements of new and modified designs and technologies from conception to proving the technology in operation over time
- Analyse the reliability and integrity of safety critical and operationally critical systems
- Analyse performance and condition data, such as valve signature data to determine condition and potential reliability over time
- Conduct Root Cause Failure Analysis Investigations (RCFA) in response to failures during drilling operations